Tuesday 19 August 2014

Far Out





Firstly a small apology for taking a very unintentional break from blog life. August is always one of those funny months which starts off being quiet and then ends up being packed to the brim. I've mostly just been making the most of all the good weather and spending as much time outside exploring. I've also been planning a couple of big shoots which you will see very soon but I thought to keep the wolf from the door I'd do a short snappy update!

I have two really exciting pieces of news number one is that I recently visited The Glorious Art House in Exeter. It's going to be the most beautiful, colourful coffee shop and gallery! It's opening this coming Monday (25th August) and I wholeheartedly suggest that you go if you are even remotely close to Exeter! I will hopefully be having my first solo show there next year too.

The other news snippet is that my brother, boyfriend and I are starting a small, very eccentric magazine. It's called arte-facts and we are currently calling for submissions. We're looking for poetry, short stories, photography and articles on odd subjects (take The Saturday Book as a reference point), although we will consider all submissions! Email us here! Also note that it will be a print publication, although in time we hope to post online content too. We do have a tumblr, lovin dis/not a lover of which we update nearly daily. The magazine may or may not be more serious.

Moving aside from these announcements these pictures were inspired by all things early noughties and my early teenage years (before I dyed my hair black and went to the dark side for a number of years). I've been on a lot of VERY long train journeys lately and my mum purchased this bead kit for £1 and we spent a considerable amount of the time making silly bracelets. I went up a grade and made myself a chocker that says far out. I really do feel like I've gone back in time to my 11 year old self. The top was a recent sale purchase from Zara when I was in Exeter. I never go to the high street and my recent excursion only confirmed why: badly made, plastic fabrics and SO pricey! This top however is made from a really lovely heavyweight cotton and was only a fiver. The bell bottoms are very old American Apparel that I got as a gift for Christmas.


My hair is heavily inspired by the glorious centre partings of Christina Aguilera and v.early Britney. As well as the 2002 film Blue Crush which I saw at the cinema aged 12 and was completely enamoured with (I am deeply concerned to learn that they made a second film). Judy Blume novels also featured majorly in the inspiration for this post, especially the 1990s editions, which were about the only books available in my school library.



The patches in the photographs are all from Etsy should you wish to indulge in some noughties vibes:

Alien
Pineapple
Pink Flower
Daisy
Earth Heart


Sorry this turned out to be a bit wordy!
I hope you are all well and I'll catch up on all your posts now.

Linking to Share-in-Style




Outfit Details

Navy polka dot top - Zara

Navy bell bottoms- American Apparel

Rings- All Portobello or remnants from my childhood.

X

7 comments:

  1. Amazing outfit, those jeans are great! The zine sounds really interesting, would love to contribute! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really an amazing look and I love to see how you transformed your teenage influences into something pretty like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much NEWS. Your magazine venture sounds very exciting, as does the prospect of a solo show next year.
    Ah, I was of the Sugar and Shout! magazine era, and Jacqueline Wilson was my author idol. Somehow I missed out on Judy Blume, though I've been told she's great.
    I'm mesmerised not only by the outfit, but also by the art wall behind you in the pics and the multi-coloured bannisters in front.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look marvellous, love the bell bottoms. The magazine venture sounds marvellous, I wish you lots of luck with that :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also taking it easy in August.
    Thank you so much for making the effort and joining the Share-in-Style family once more
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool outfit, in fact I'd go so far as to call it 'far out'. Love the spotty bra top, and you look amazing in your long long jeans. Ooh how, exciting, congratulations on your new enterprise, I'm sure it will be fabulous! Xxx

    ReplyDelete