Tuesday 13 October 2015

Potsdam

Sanssouci Palace
Sanssouci Palace

Sanssouci Palace
Sanssouci Palace

Hallo! I'm back and nearly recovered! Berlin was brilliant but I feel completely exhausted from all the walking and exploring we did. It feels so strange to be stationary and at home!

I thought I'd break up the pictures a bit as I took quite a few (400 to be precise - yikes!). I shall begin with our trip to the beautiful and historic town of Potsdam. We got up extremely early on our first day in Berlin to take the train there. It took around 45 minutes and it was incredibly cheap in comparison to trains here -  only 7 euro! Potsdam has hundreds of parks, palaces and castles so it's best to decide which to visit before you arrive. We opted for Sanssouci Park, it's the best known but also one of the largest and most beautiful in Potsdam. It's home to several palaces including the mini Versailles, a mock Roman bathhouse and a functioning windmill (amongst many other delights).  Sanssouci is actually a French phrase that translates as carefree or without worries. The whole park exudes this sort of care free calm.  We spent around 6 hours walking and visiting various palaces, we could of easily spent 6 more! It was so incredible that it was hard not to keep going but we had to stop due to our aching feet and tired limbs! I'd love to revisit Potsdam. I didn't see even half of what I wanted to (Babelsburg Castle and Alexandrowka are both on the agenda for next time).

My favourite place of the entire day was definitely the Chinese House. It was breathtaking. Every surface was painted or gilded and the relief sculptures were utterly fabulous. A close second would have to be the last room in the Sanssouci Palace - a wonderful yellow bedroom with plaster reliefs of parrots across the walls and ceiling, and an iron flower chandelier. I wasn't supposed to snap pictures but I got one before I was told off sharply by an attendant.    

All in all I couldn't recommend Potsdam enough. There is so much to see, I almost wish I'd been staying there instead of in Berlin so I could of packed more things in! The historic town is wonderful, full of pastel coloured buildings straight out of Wes Anderson's A Grand Budapest Hotel
Sanssouci Palace
Sanssouci Palace
Chinese House
Chinese House
Chinese House
Chinese House, interior
Chinese House, ceiling
Chinese House, interior

My outfit inspiration for the day was ornate palaces (obviously!) I've had this dress for years and years and it finely came into it's own against the interiors of Sanssouci! The hat is a recent acquisition from my local charity shop. It hasn't left my head since I got it. I hated the colour orange previously but it's recently grown on me enormously and now I can't get enough of it. It was perfectly suited to the Autumnal colours of Berlin's 5000 (!) trees! 


Roman Baths
Roman Baths
Charlottenhof Palace 
Charlottenhof Palace

Charlottenhof Palace

Orangery Palace

Windmill 
New Chambers, interior
New Chambers, interior
New Chambers, interior
New Chambers, interior (me pretending to be a post courtier) 
New Chambers, interior

New Chambers
Windmill
Sanssouci Palace, ceiling
Sanssouci Palace, interior


That's all for today but I'll be back with more snaps of our trip and a review of the new Liberty exhibition at the Fashion and Textile Museum over the next few days.

The Orangery

New Chambers


Outfit Details

1960s silk paisley dress - car boot sale
1960s orange velvet hat - charity shop
Russell & Bromley loafers - charity shop
1960s Aquascutum coat - car boot sale
Paisley fringed scarf - car boot sale
Italian silk scarf - belonged to my Great Aunt

X

5 comments:

  1. oh gosh! it's so beautiful beautiful beautiful, I want to cry. I love that Sanssouci translates to carefree, if there's anywhere I could escape to, and be carefree (and I need to escape) it would be somewhere like here. Have you ever been to Bavaria to visit The Swan King Ludwig II's castles like Neuschwanstein? That's where I want to go. Ahh these are so beautiful thank you for sharing! It looks like you had a completely magical time

    Aida
    x

    This Kid Is Alright

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a surprise! Read Potsdam and you can find this treat! The Chinese House conquered me! I love these luxuries decadent with their gilded stucco and pastel colors .. And I your clothing is fantastic, this dress a treasure! Your posts improve my mood, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a luscious place, Lally. That's going on my list straightaway. I love pastels and gold together, it's such a sumptuous combination. If you were in an allegorical painting, I'd guess you were Autumn with your red, orange and yellow hues! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous photos, almost feel like I was on holiday with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the opulence! I love the fabulously opulent outfit you wore to explore Potsdam, too. xxx

    ReplyDelete