Wednesday 11 November 2015

Budapest: Part 2




I'm glad you all enjoyed yesterday's instalment of my Hungarian odyssey! This is the second instalment - there will be a third tomorrow (and then that's it - promise!)

Each time I look through the photographs I can't believe how much beauty we witnessed in such a short space of time. I really do have the post holiday blues. I'm already researching how I can get back there! It's such a wonderful thing to visit somewhere which so resonates with your aesthetic, I've never experienced that before and I'm pretty sure I'd like it to continue. I follow a very inspiring woman on Instagram called Elena who is currently on a lace research trip in Europe and her pictures make me cry with joy. It makes me think I would love to do something similar with folk dress at some point, we shall see!

SO pictures. Well, our second day in Budapest was by far my favourite of all. We visited my new spiritual home, The Museum of Ethnography. Not only is it the most astonishingly beautiful building but it houses a huge collection of Hungarian, Romanian and Bulgarian folk costumes. We spent two hours wandering it's corridors but I could have easily spent another two!

































In the evening we visited another thermal spa, it was an intriguing experience. We went to Kiraly which until relatively recently was a male only bath. It was built in 1565 and is one the oldest baths in Budapest. It was wonderful inside, very hot water and an incredible dome over the main bath but there were a lot of men and almost no women. Needless to say I didn't get any snaps. Afterwards we all felt extremely tired, the waters certainly worked their magic, my skin was positively glowing!


 On our third day we skipped breakfast in search of cake! We opted for Budapest's most famous cake and coffee stop The Central (or Central Kavehaz). It did not disappoint, exquisite cakes and gorgeous surroundings. 


















After that we stopped off at the Market Hall again for extra souvenirs and then we headed over the river to Buda. We explored for a few hours and then it was off to Gellert thermal spa. Built in 1918, it is the upmost in 1920s chic! The entrance hall was pretty fabulous but the bath halls themselves were the highlight. They were virtually untouched with wonderful turquoise tiling and  ladies in bath caps, it felt like we had travelled back in time. It was a completely different experience from our previous evening and of all the baths we visited I'd thoroughly recommend it to other visitors! 





Back tomorrow for the third and final post on Budapest!

Outfit Details

1930s satin slip dress - Car boot sale
Embroidered waistcoat - Vintage shop in Budapest
1930s cotton and lace shirt - Flea market
1990s boots - Flea market

X

8 comments:

  1. Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww dear Lally thank you sooooooooooooo much for taking me with you in this wonderful trip, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Wonderfulllllllllllllllllll
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those textiles are dreamy, I'd be dribbling over the glass if I visited! Your outfit is wonderful. I want that waistcoat! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaw-dropping. The clothes, the architecture. The everything. Thanks for these photos. These pieces are not folk art - they are high art. Simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your photos from the costume museum, the craftsmanship behind each piece is unbelievable- also really loved your outfit from this trip!

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word. These pics actually had me checking the airlines to find out the fares from California to Hungary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow wow, this last dress.....dream dress....the design and work put in is so exquisite, I really loved seeing all of those pieces...stunning xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must have felt like you had died and gone to heaven! Stunning photos again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Folk costumes are one of my very favourite things in the whole world. I need to go there. Your mum looks lovely, how wonderful to share your interests and holidays, that's a rare thing. Xxx

    ReplyDelete