Tuesday 30 December 2014

Snow Baby




 I had extremely grand plans for these pictures. I dreamt that a thick layer of snow would fall and the woods behind my house would be crisp white and prefect for snapping frosty photographs in. Alas this did not happen. Despite most of the country being blanketed in white, Cornwall is not (though it is uncharacteristically cold and last night saw our first, and perhaps last, frost of 2014!)

Another slight hinderance was the lens on my poor camera has broken (any help would be appreciated) so these were all taken on my iphone (!). I really hate the quality of them but I really wanted to get this post done before the fall of 2015!

All that aside I had fun snapping these pictures in my garden earlier. The weather was delightfully crisp and fresh; very fitting for my ensemble. The outfit was mostly inspired by some wonderful Christmas cake decorations that belonged to my Grandma; tiny little 1930s snow babies, carol singers, Santas and Polar Bears. 



Source: 1

A little research reveals that they were made by a German company called Bisque. We have a whole host of characters including two very amusing dancing polar bears. Each year we bring them all out and start by choosing our favourites to adorn the cake, gradually they all make it on as we feel sorry for the ones left in the box. Needless to say our cake looks pretty crackers when complete (this year we went all out and added Marzipan fruits).


Prior to the icing of the cake my mum and I on went a last minute shopping spree (around the charity shops) and popped into a, usually rather expensive, vintage shop in town. Hanging on the sale rail we  found these amazing Angora leggings. I've always wanted a pair of fluffy white thermals so they were snapped up and put away until Christmas day. Although I wasn't surprised when I opened them, I was delighted. They are the warmest item of clothing I've ever owned, and therefore probably the most practical, although I do feel very silly in them, very much like a giant snow baby might feel in fact. 

The cardigan is v.fancy, 100% Cashmere no less, and was a gift from one of my mum's lovely friends. It is the perfect compliment to my snowball leggings. Here I am prancing atop a Christmas cake.




Even better than the fluffy leggings are my boots. They are 1930s lace ups and were a Christmas gift last year. I love them so much, they are both the perfect fit and SO gloriously comfortable to wear. I truly wish boots like this were still made today.

I'm yet to actually sample any Christmas cake as I'm not much of a fan (I really can't abide sultanas, currants or raisins in combination with cake products) I much prefer a slice of my mum's marvellous New York baked cheesecake, another family heirloom passed down from my Grandma . It's delicious especially when combined with a crafty activity such as a making a snow globe. I've got very in to making them this season (I've made three already). They are surprisingly easy and make a lovely last minute dinner party gift.

Here's how:

Materials

An old (but clean) jam jar and it's lid

1 tablespoon of Glycerine

A jar full of boiled and cooled water

LOTS of glitter

An Assortment of Christmas cake decorations (trees, robbins, holly- or less seasonal items!)

A glue gun

Method


Carefully glue gun your decorations to the inside of the jam jar lid and leave to throughly dry.

Fill the jam jar with the water and Glycerine and stir. Then add the glitter!

Screw the lid on and glue gun around the seal to make sure it's firmly sealed.

Shake and tadahhh!

*it's very important to boil the water and let it cool as it'll purify it and therefore stop lots of bubbles forming at the top of the jar!



I do hope you all had a wonderful festive season, I'll see you again in 2015.

Cheerio!




Outfit Details:

Faux fur hat - Christmas gift several years ago

Vintage Angora leggings - Local vintage shop

Vintage Italian neckerchief - Belonged to my Great Auntie

100% Cashmere cardigan - Gift from a friend

Lace top - Christmas gift via a Charity shop

1930s lace up leather boots - Christmas gift last year 


X

9 comments:

  1. Best iphone photos ever. Your theme is delightful! I have never made a snow globe but I could probably get addicted to it too but I don't have an outfit as cool as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiration strikes in the most unexpected of places. You look so cute and cosy! I thought immediately, those are proper long johns, like Grandpa used to wear in the Waltons. Angora, mmmm, so soft, just right for a snowbaby. Love the story of the cake where no one gets left out. We've had snow here, but it doesn't look nearly as picturesque as your photos. Happy New Year Lally, hope you have a lovely time. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so adorable Lally! Happy almost new year!! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wishing it would snow here too, but it hasn't so far. Your photos still turned out cute though! And I love how you decorated the cake! It is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute snow baby you make. I bet those leggings are wonderfully warm and cosy. My 1970s St Michael thermals aren't a patch on those! Happy New Year! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glorious thermal leggings - could have done with those this afternoon when the mist rolled back down the hill to stopper up the valley and the temperature nose-dived. I too was hoping for some snow while back at home (for an idea I had back in the summer for a themed post that most definitely requires snow). However, apart from one hilly trek with my dad to find a light sprinkling high up, it has been entirely elusive.
    I LOVE family Christmas decorations and embellishments that come out year after year. Amazing looking cake (tho I'm with you on the dislike of sultanas/raisins etc). And ha - I recognise the marzipan decorative fruits - we were given a box. So pretty, but no one in our house is likely to eat them. They'll probably end up in the box of Christmas decorations!
    Wishing you a creative and colourful new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are MARVELLOUS....love these :))) Happy New Year Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. These photos are very incredible. I have only ever seen snow once in my whole life…so I have always wanted to take a set of outfit photos in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that your outfit was inspired by your grandma's christmas decorations. That is just so sweet! Your outfit is beautiful! Your fur hat is the perfect finishing touch!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete