Monday 11 January 2016

Life on Mars






 I'm sure I don't need to introduce this post really. This morning the world awoke to the news that David Bowie had passed into another realm. Of course like pretty much everybody else this news was a shock to me. David Bowie was a figure I think most people thought was eternal. His other-wordily quality rendered him ageless, timeless and ever contemporaneous. He was the master of re-invention, a true chameleon and for that I salute him. There truly is no other pop star out there like him, past or present, and I doubt there ever will be in the future either. He, over the years, has had a huge influence on me, particularly his work from the 70s/early 80s. I was very lucky to visit the V&A retrospective of Bowie in 2013. It was a strange, multi-sensory experience (what else would one expect), that at the time I'm not sure I enjoyed as I felt it was too much.  However, it was such a treat to see the costumes and artwork from 4 decades of service in the flesh, and reflecting on it now I'm so glad that I was able to go! It now seems so incredibly timely that they put it on.





To mark the end of his time on Earth (I really hope he is on Mars now) I donned my most psychedelic suit and new platform boots from the H&M sale and grooved around the living room to Hunky Dory.  It's very hard to pick a favourite song so here are my top three: Dance - the first song I heard aged 14, changes which I used as blog inspiration last year and Space oddity - because it's such a wonderful song! RIP DB.





See you in space.




Outfit Details

Blue paisley suit - Zara
Navy velvet thigh high boots - H&M
Turtleneck - Orla Kiely X Uniqlo
Felt hat - charity shop

x

6 comments:

  1. I am so sad and upset about this loss ... I still do not believe it ... He left us a precious treasure: his art, his personality, his sensitivity .. And that your post, dear Lally, is amazing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful pictures and a wonderful tribute...he was my absolute favourite :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so sad to hear the news this morning! :'( This is a wonderful tribute outfit you have put together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in shock on Monday morning after seeing an IG post that he had passed away. As you said, there was no one else like him, and I don't think there ever will be. One of the most creative, if not the most creative pop stars of the 20th centure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly, the most perfect psychedelic tribute to one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tribute Lally. Oh how we shall all miss this amazing icon x
    Anna
    Anna's Islans Style

    ReplyDelete