Monday 4 July 2016

Postcards from Europe: Germany




I haven't felt much like blogging in the last week. My last post (pre-birthday and brexit) seems a lifetime ago, an awful lot has happened since then. I was starting to feel rather hopeless and helpless about everything (as I'm sure many others were and still are). A change came along when I saw a beautiful project started by my friends over at The Glorious Art House, they always have a way of bringing cheer to a sad situation. A few days after that fateful day they began Make it Write, a project that encourages people to have a positive voice during these tough times by sending a postcard to an office, cafe or home in Europe. The postcard can include a friendly message of solidarity or hope, a picture or just a happy memory. I felt so inspired reading about it; it gave me a little solace to know that I know so many wonderful people and LOOK they aren't giving up, and I shouldn't either! I am still European, I love Europe. I was born there, without the EU, I would not be here. SO to cut a long story short my mum and I put every country in the EU into a hat and picked 14 each. We are now going to each make 14 postcards celebrating each state, and at some point in the nearish future they will travel to The Glorious for a small exhibition.

Here is the first country of my 14: Germany. I had to start with Germany. I love it; the Bavarian mountains, the golden trees in Autumn, the delicious Lebkuchen, dirndls, castles.... We also said goodbye to our German friend and housemate last week so it seemed fitting to begin with it. 



The hat was customised by my mum for my party last week (she came as the EU flag), strangely I realised when I was editing these that they look very 4th of July with the red, blue, white and stars -completely unintentional!  



Aside from Brexit I had a very odd week. Firstly because I somehow I ended up in a press frenzy re the dress in my last post and ended up appearing in the local newspaper and then also the Daily Mail (pls pity me). Anyway in a bizarre set of circumstances I am being paid, so I'm putting the money to good use and have joined the labour party. I like to think there is some karma in the world, haha.

The other odd, but very nice, occurrence is that a man contacted my brothers and I to say he wanted to donate some our fathers books to us that had recently come into his possession. He wants nothing for them, and I cannot tell you what a delight it is to have such a kind act of generosity after such a dismal week! 

I feel that I am coming up for air, and lots of good things are happening. Holding onto the good stuff is very important for us all right now. I hope you are all well, there will obviously be more to come from this series so keep your eyes peeled...

Linking with Visible Monday and Judith's Hat Attack 



Outfit Details

Dirndl - Vintage shop in Berlin
White cotton smocked top - Car boot 
Crochet choker - Made by my mum

X

7 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea Lally. Will you be showing your mum´s too I hope.
    Looking forward to your art work
    Mil besos
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I've got about a million of those 1970s Spanish postcards with the flamenco dancers in fabric dresses, I wanna copy! xxx
    PS happy Belated Birthday - hope it was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent idea. I love this. Oh Lally! My daughter used to have a set of paper dolls called Folk Costumes of the World. Oh my. You look exactly like the little Bavarian doll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. geez, a slow news day? Yes, you do look a tad red, white and blue. Add a sparkler and you're good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The polka dot dress and hat look awesome together!
    I can't wait to see what's next in line... :)

    I hate people like Cameron, Farage & Johnson for what they did to the UK...
    (You're in 'favour' of the Labour Party? ... awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a lovely project Lally. My friend and I have agreed we're in denial, and frankly I want to stay here as long as possible, feeling hopeful and part of Europe. This is a great way to illustrate it. You're the only other person who loves a bit of folk costume as much as I do. If you send me your address I have some cards I want to send you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic work, Lally! Love both posts - Germany and France, - and your Mum's paintings are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete